The RSD Sergeant V3 is a bike designed to be extremely versatile. RSD calls the VS their “newest version of this Swiss-Army-knife of a trail bike.”
Some thoughts, close ups and riding footage can be watched in the video below:
Any Tire Will Fit
The complete build comes with 27.5×3 inch Nobby Nic plus tires from Schwalbe, but can run 29×3 inch or even 27.5×4 inch fat bike tires. Those are likely going to be the fattest and tallest tires you will ever run. Anything else will be smaller and have gobs of clearance within the frame which is great for when your tires pack up with mud or snow.
Standard Width BB
The best part about this frame design is that RSD has designed it around a 83mm CNC’d bottom bracket. That is the standard width, not a fat bike width, so you will feel like your feet are in the right spot, not out super far like typical fat bike bottom bracket spacing.
Bikepacking & Single Speed Ready
There are rack mounts for anyone wanting to take this bike on long trips for bikepacking or bicyle touring, but there are also sliding dropouts at the rear axle so you can run it single speed, or run an internally geared hub, or just fine tune the chain stay length to dial in that perfect feel of wheel base length for whatever type of riding you are aiming for.
The Sergeant V3 aluminum is available as a frame only ($559, but on sale currently for $384 USD). The medium frame weighs 5.5lbs according to RSD. The Complete Build is listed as weighing 29lbs 14oz in the medium size with a dropper post and setup with tubeless tires (they ship with tubes).
The parts RSD chose to put on this bike are pretty close to what I would choose if I had $2000 USD to build up my own bike from scratch.
RaceFace Turbine bar, cranks, and seatpost.
Shimano SLX brakes.
SLX 11 speed drivetrain (30t x 11-46t)
Manitou Mattoc Fork & Sun Ringle Duroc 50mm Rims
Schwalbe Nobby Nic 27.5×3 inch tires
- Frame: 27.5+/29 Aluminum 6061
- Fork: Manitou Mattoc 27.5+/29 140mm Comp
- Headset: Cane Creek ZS-44
- Handle Bar: Race Face 35mm Turbine R 780mm
- Stem: Race Face 35mm Aeffect 50mm
- Grips: Lizard Skin Northshore
- Front Wheel: Sun Ringle Duroc 27.5x50mm Front 15x110mm Boost
- Rear Wheel: Sun Ringle Duroc 27.5x50mm Rear 12x157mm Super Boost
- Crank: Race Face 175mm Cinch 149mm DM
- Chain Ring: Race Face 30T NW Ring
- BB: Race Face 83mm BSA
- Chain: KMC X11SL
- Cassette: Shimano XT 11/46T 11spd
- Rear Shifter: Shimano SLX 11spd
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX 11spd
- Brakes: Shimano SLX
- Rotors: Shimano SLX
- Saddle: WTB Volt Comp
- Seat Post: Race Face Turbine / KS Lev Dropper
- Rear Axle: SRAM 188mm Rear Maxle Ultimate 12x157mm
- Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 27.5 x 3.0 Addix Evolution Speedgrip